Searching for an apartment can be quite overwhelming. Far too often people enter their rental search with expectations of finding a loft like the one on “New Girl” only to be shocked by the price tag. Fortunately, finding a new place to call ‘home’ just got easier!
Since you’ll likely explore multiple communities during your search, it can be useful to take notes in order to remember which places you liked best. Use this helpful checklist to easily keep track of information about each apartment that you visit. Comparing your checklists from each property will help narrow down your choices in order to find the right apartment for you.
- Commute to Work- figure out the best route and time it! How long you spend commuting each day will likely be a factor in the desirability of an apartment.
- Proximity to Transit- buses, subway, bike routes, etc.
- Neighborhood Attractions- coffee shop, grocery store, restaurants, nightlife, gym, shopping, etc.
- Nearby Parks- proximity to your doorstep. This is very important if you have pets to walk!
- Amenities- pool, gym, concierge- does the building have these?
- Floors- hardwood, carpet, tile, other?
- Outdoor Space- patio, balcony, shared or private?
- Laundry- is there washer/ dryer in the unit?
- Parking- included with rent, extra fee, or street parking?
- Storage- note how many closets there are and if there is other storage available in the building (for bikes, skis, holiday boxes, etc.)
- Utilities- gas, electric, cable, trash, water–which if any are included? Find out what the average bills usually run.
- Pets- allowed? is there a size limit? are there fees? are those fees monthly or refundable?
Click here to download or print out UDR’s Apartment Search Checklist handbook and have it on hand the next time you’re looking at apartments. Remember to ask important questions during your visit and don’t forget to visit the community website for additional information.
Good luck looking for Luxury Leasing!