Brunch: that long, leisurely meal that usually involves copious amounts of food and hangover-killing cures — or enough daytime drinking to get a start on the next day’s hangover. Many restaurants try to lure the brunch bunch, but some definitely do it better than the rest.
Here are San Diego’s best brunches:
- 94th Aero Squadron | Kearny Mesa- The bottomless Champagne is almost as exciting as the front row seat to watching WWII-era airplanes takeoff and touchdown at adjacent Montgomery Field!
- Cabo Cantina | Pacific Beach- $9.95 gets you bottomless mimosas, heaping plates of egg-topped, green chile-drenched chilaquiles, and steak & jalapeño-stuffed Diablo omelettes. ñam ñam!
- Cafe 21 | Gaslamp Quarter- The boozing options are plentiful with six kinds of mimosas (like a ginger beer-spiked “Gingermosa”), Bloodys with 6oz beer chasers, and pitchers of sangria. Fortifying your stomach with the likes of tiramisu pancakes with maple espresso syrup and cast-iron omelets like the Salmon Diamonds topped with feta, pesto, and avocado.
- Claire’s on Cedros | Solana Beach- Have your way with spiced pear-stuffed French toast, Salade Croque Madame (really just an excuse to eat a bunch of brioche, prosciutto, Fontina, and runny eggs under the guise of frisee), and braised short rib hash. Bonus: the back patio’s dog friendly if Fido also has a taste for short rib hash.
- The Crown Room | Coronado- The $80 price tag might give you pause, but know that you’ll be brunching in one of the world’s coolest hotels. And by the way, it’s haunted!
- Mediterranean Room | La Jolla- Who could turn down Hollandaise and hash browns with the ocean in sight? The view of the Pacific from this 7th floor dining room at La Valencia is downright enchanting.
- Tom Ham’s Lighthouse | Harbor Island- Located on Harbor Island with views of downtown San Diego, Tom’s operates as a working lighthouse. Devour a buffet of fresh crab legs, smoked salmon, and oysters, not to mention bottomless champagne and incredible house ceviche.
- Westgate Hotel | Downtown- Westgate delivers bottomless mimosas, Bloody Marys, and margaritas. You’ll probably make multiple trips to the crepe station, but make sure you’re also prepared to mow through some of their house-made donuts.
Don’t see one of your favorite San Diego brunch spots? Be sure to share in the comments!