Red wine. Coffee. Mud. Makeup. Chances are your carpet has seen them all. That doesn’t mean that evidence of last year’s Christmas party has to still be visible come the Fourth of July. Keep your carpet as fresh and luxurious as the day you moved into your apartment with these carpet cleaning hacks.
You’ll have better luck getting any type of stain out if you treat it immediately, before it has a chance to set.
- If necessary, scrape any loose parts of the spill with the dull side of a butter knife.
- Blot (don’t rub!) the area with a clean cloth or paper towel to absorb the liquid.
- Dilute the spot by pouring a little water or club soda onto the stain.
- Continue blotting.
- Scrub the area with soapy water if necessary.
If you use a commercial carpet cleaner, be sure to test it on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn’t cause any discoloration.
You saw the beer get spilled on your carpet during an exciting Super Bowl play. But the drive is still going, and you don’t want to miss the touchdown by dealing with the stain. Nor do you want to make your guest feel any worse than he already does. Try this hack to when you need to delay cleaning.
- Blot with paper towels.
- Sprinkle salt on the stain to absorb any remaining liquid.
- Vacuum the salt after guest have left.
- Proceed with the above ASAP treatment steps.
What do you do when you uncover an old stain during your annual spring cleaning that you didn’t know about? (Wait! Don’t send off an angry text to your roommate!) Try using baking soda paste.
- Vacuum the carpet.
- Mix one cup of baking soda and two tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl. Continue adding baking soda until the mixture is paste-like.
- Generously spread the paste over the stain.
- Rub the paste into the carpet fibers with your fingers.
- Let the paste set on the stain for 30 minutes or so.
- Place an old, clean towel over the stain, stacking heavy books on top.
- Wait another 30 minutes (or longer) to remove the books.
- Check that the stain transferred from the carpet to the towel.
- Vacuum any remaining paste from the carpet.
Pin this post for quick and easy reference next time your faced with stain removal.