Just because you don’t have a private backyard doesn’t mean that you have to forego summer entertaining. Many of our luxurious apartment communities have luscious courtyards complete with a resident grilling area. So grab your BBQ apron and get ready to host the hottest event of the season by following these four easy steps!
1. Plan ahead. You will typically want to reserve the grilling area a few weeks to a few months in advance, especially if you want to host a holiday event.
2. Serve up something different. Burgers and brats may be a summer cookout staple, but they tend to get boring after a while. Instead, create a unique menu. Ideas include:
- Grilled pizza – cook dough right on the grate for a minute or two, flip it and add your favorite toppings, cook for a few minutes longer.
- Marinated chicken kabobs – cook for a few minutes on each side and the chicken will be moist and delicious.
- Grilled fruit – grill for a few minutes on each side to allow the caramelizing flames to bring out the natural flavor of pineapple and peach slices.
If you feel that burgers are as essential to a BBQ as flip-flops to your feet and a drink in your hand, try a sophisticated variation like a black and blue burger on brioche. Don’t forget a toppings station complete with an assortment of mustards, cheeses and sauces.
3. Create a party atmosphere. Music is a must at any summer cookout. You can also create more of a party atmosphere by placing food and drink stations in different places to encourage mingling and arranging tables and chairs to make conversation areas. For evening entertaining, a string of lights or a few citronella candles complete the party vibe.
4. Be considerate of your neighbors. Anytime you are entertaining outside, it is important to not only consider the comfort of your guests, but also the comfort of your neighbors who aren’t in attendance. Keep the noise at a respectable level and don’t stay outside too late.
Hosting the perfect summer BBQ is a matter of careful planning, a creative menu and thoughtful consideration, all in an energetic environment. Follow these four easy steps to make your next cookout unforgettable.