Moving into a new place is exciting but takes a lot of work as well. So whether you are determined to get unpacked in two days or like to take your time over the course of a month or two, here are some helpful tips for unpacking and getting settled.
- Get your boxes and furniture in the correct rooms, right away. It’s a big waste of time to keep shuffling boxes from room to room. If you have an open concept floor plan, it’s best to designate a spot in each living area for boxes. You don’t want boxes lining the walls of your entire home.
- Set your furniture, big pieces first. Arrange and re-arrange until you feel you have the best flow through your rooms. You may have to reset in a month, but this will help as you unpack accessories to put them in their new home right away.
- Unpack essentials first. The bathroom and kitchen should be the first boxes to unpack. At the end of the first day you’ll want to eat and take a shower. And you won’t want to search boxes for the coffeemaker the next morning.
- Make your bed. Again, you’ll want to fall into clean sheets after a long day.
- Remove empty boxes from your apartment each day. The empties will clutter your space and eliminating them from your view will bring a small sense of accomplishment.
- Save a box or two for charity. As you unpack set things aside for donation if you didn’t have a chance to sort through things before you moved.
- Determine the best place to store your items. You may need at least one trip to The Container Store but getting your closets set will help you avoid buying a new bottle of shampoo because you forgot you had an extra and so on.
- Decorate. This is the fun part! Take your current favorite pieces of art and decorate your walls. Add a touch of color with a new throw blanket or cute new accessory. Add a few pictures of friends and family to make your home personal. Don’t get carried away as you’ll want to add new finds later and don’t want to look cluttered.
- Shop. What is your place missing? What will make your place feel like a home? Become more functional? Represent you?
- Get out and meet your neighbors. A new place to live isn’t any fun unless you have great new friends to share it with.
Having a hard time making the time to get everything set? Does your Orange County apartment still feel incomplete? Throw a housewarming party! Invite friends over to check out your new pad and show off your space. You’ll be much more motivated to get everything done if you have a date (deadline) set. What have you learned during the moving process that has helped you get settled? Please share your tips below that I can add to the list.